(Whilst I am a former Blogpower member rather than a current one, I remain a keen supporter of the idea and the movement).
What is BlogPower?
Blogpower …is so simple that Tim Worstall can’t understand it. It’s just a club of bloggers who undertake to visit and promote each other’s blogs. In fairness to Tim, I didn’t get it either at first. I signed up because James asked me. But I have been pleasantly surprised at the sense of community that has developed in a very short time. I hope we can retain the essential simplicity of the idea and continue to help each other out. [Tom Paine]
In less than a year, it had recruited more than fifty participants, held an awards ceremony (in Second Life) and introduced quasi-regular member roundups, to often critical acclaim. It also tries to live up to its strapline of Defending the Blogosphere through mutual support of the membership.
That is not to say, however, that it has been plain sailing. There has been an expulsion, accusations of partisan opinion, resignations, refusals of new prospective members and acrimonious words exchanged along the way. This is understandable for something that hasn’t been done before; BlogPower is evolving rapidly and still honing its purpose.
The Shades of Grey guide to BlogPower (your mileage may vary)
BlogPower is a community of small bloggers who visit and support each other, generally by participation in blog comments. Anyone can become a BlogPowerer, but they do have to get accepted into the community through a voting process. Prospective joiners are discussed at the home blog but if there are any objections within 72 hours, discussion moves to the private mailing list to thrash out any issues.
I’m interested. How do I join?
This is informal advice from the Shadester. When I joined, it was on the nod, but now that it is a lot bigger some of the Members are are bit more choosy.
- First of all, find out a bit about us first. Take a look at the blogs, the Home Blog, the comments, the characters
- Give yourself an honest appraisal. Why do you want to join? Does it fit in with the BlogPower ethos, assuming you can work out what it is?
- Will you fit in? Are you strong opinioned, thick skinned, an extremist, a fruitloop? Only you can know!
- Participate, get yourself known
- When you feel ready, apply. Give cogent reasons why you would be an asset to the community. Explain your own blog ethos.Remember, you are selling yourself to a bunch of quirky individualists.
- Please mail Ian Appleby – imaginedcommunity at googlemail dot com to be added to the “Light from Yonder Window?” list
The good, the bad and the ugly…
This is the current active BlogPower list.